Thursday, July 21, 2011

I have mastered... CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES.

Some of my coworkers are either moving or quitting, so I took it upon myself to spontaneously throw a barbecue and Wii dance party that will probably last until the Wii hours of the morning. Haha, I didn't even mean to do that. Yusssss.

Side note, I was given a bread maker for Christmas, and YES, I actually use it. All the time. (Thanks Grandma!) There is no air freshener that can match the aroma of baking bread. Mmmmmm. I hope you can imagine this smell right now. And I have found the best recipe for hamburger/hot dog buns. This is one of the only recipes I have practically memorized. (Yes, I've said that recipes don't matter, but they actually do when it comes to a bread maker).


YUMMY BUNS!

Ingredients
1 c. water
1 egg
1/4 c. olive oil
1 c. flour
2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
3 tsp. yeast

You're going to need a bread maker for this recipe, so if you don't have one, my apologies, but you're missing out on fantastic-ness.

1. Put liquid ingredients in the bread making bowl. This includes the water, egg, and olive oil.
2. Next, Put in dry ingredients which includes both flours, salt, and sugar.
3. Create a small dimple in the flour with your finger that's not deep enough to reach the liquid ingredients. Put yeast here.
4. Start on dough/pasta setting.
5. When the machine is done, take out and split dough into 8 mounds for hamburger buns, or 12 for hot dog buns.
6. Preheat oven to WARM.
7. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil PAM.
8. Place mounds on cookie sheet and cover with a towel.
9. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes; enough time for dough to double in size.
10. Take out of oven and heat oven to 400 degrees.
11. Place rolls back in oven for 10-12 minutes; enough time for rolls to brown.
12. Take out and ENJOY.



These buns are delicious. The wifey likes stealing them and using them for sandwiches. They're just good.


So, I've been on a mission to find a recipe for the GREATEST chocolate chip cookie. One that leaves a moist cookie, flavor in the dough enough to compliment the chocolate. Plus, I love cookies. Who doesn't?

First and foremost, I love The Food Network. And Alton Brown; yes the crazy scientist looking dude from Iron Chef. He's the one gave me the phenomenal recipe for pizza. Not him personally, but his show, "Good Eats." I have learned that, more egg yolks makes the cookie chewier. As does a higher brown sugar to white sugar ratio.

I only had a 1/2 cup of butter, so I had to adjust. Plus it made only like 9-12 cookies.

1 c. butter
3 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream 1 c. butter and 1/2 c. sugar and 1 c. brown sugar.
3. Mix in 1 egg and 1 egg yolk, and 2 tbsp. milk and 2 tsp. vanilla.
4. Gradually add 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 3 c. flour.
5. Mix in chocolate chips. (I know everyone likes a different amount of chocolate chips, so mix until you think looks good).
6. Scoop into mounds ON WAXED PAPER on a cookie sheet. (I personally love massive cookies... Like the size of your face).
7. Bake for 10-14 minutes. (I cooked for 12 minutes, but that can change depending on your elevation or taste for chewy or crunchy cookies).
8. Let sit on cookie sheet for a couple minutes, then ENJOY.




Another random ADD input. I cut up ten pounds of potatoes for french fries I will be baking. I saw on the Food Network that if you let them soak in water overnight, it will make them less starchy. I'll let your know how they turn out. But, I will be tossing them with olive oil, garlic, and salt. Pretty simple stuff.

Oh! That'd be the bread maker beeping at me.

Until next time!
eLLe.

1 comment:

D. Ployhar said...

Your sticky buns I will have to try. Thanks-