Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Family Recipes

At places all over, cookies are sold. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, molasses, sugar. Whatever. People love these things. I just can't understand. Have you ever had a homemade one? Believe me. If I had the choice to have a store-bought cookie over not eating at all, I wouldn't eat. That's diet control in itself.

Homemade food > Store-bought food

As evidenced by simply having this blog, I love cooking. For my 21st birthday, my mom gave me a recipe book that has a lot of the family recipes. But, no gingersnap recipe. So yesterday, I call my moms and ask her for the gingersnap recipe. Yada yada, she'd get it to me.

A few hours later, I get the recipe via e-mail with this in the title, "Top Secret." I respond with: "Meaning, I can't post it on my blog." Her reply? "I might have to hurt ya..." So readers, I apologize. If you REALLY want the recipe, go bother my moms. If she likes you, she might give it to you. (** Side note, I don't have two moms, I for some reason started calling my mother, moms, and my father, pops. Don't ask why, because I don't even know).


But! The foundation of gingersnaps for those of you who don't know, are molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Google it. You roll the dough into balls and roll them in sugar. The dough and sugar are delicious compliments.

I've been making cookies since I was a kid. I have acquired some of my tips. These are:
  • Use waxed paper on a cookie sheet to extend the life of it. This goes for anything made on a cookie sheet.
  • I like large cookies. Cookies the size of your face. Just kidding. But really, I'd rather have one fatty cookie then a dozen bite sized ones. Think about it. Plus, chewy cookies are better (no really moms, they are better!!)
  • If you leave the cookies on the sheet after they've been in the oven, they will continue cooking. Meaning, if they're perfect when you take them out of the oven and decide to leave them on the sheet, they won't be when the sheet cools.

Some last additions before I take off:
  • In my last blog, I posted a recipe for barbecued pizza. The only way to have good leftovers with this pizza is to make sure that crust is almost crunchy when you put the toppings on it. If not, the sauce will absorb into the soft crust and it will become soggy. No one likes anything soggy.
  • I accidentally bought allspice. I don't even know what to use this with. Any ideas? Hit me up with some advice.
  • I won't be posting everyday. I don't have time to cook amazing food everyday. No one wants to hear about the massive amount of scrambled eggs I eat for breakfast over the course of a month. So, I'll filter the relevant.
  • You saw something you want me to try? Post that and I'll try and get to it. :)

2 comments:

Trina said...

You crack me up <3 Moms

Paige Hughes said...

I've made a cream cheese frosting with allspice in it, it was delicious!!