Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summah Time

My apologies for not writing a new blog for a while. Went on a mini-road trip and all I made was scrambled eggs and English muffins, go figure.

So, today, I grilled T-bone steak and make a corn and zucchini salad for dinner. Currently, raspberry scones are in the oven making my house smell delicious. After I made the German chocolate cupcakes, one of my coworkers requested I make a healthy scone. I borrowed this recipe and will include it later on in the blog.

My barbecuer is still functioning...barely. I got a lecture from the roommate's mom about throwing matches at my propane using BBQer, and I deserved it. I'm not exactly fond of turning up the gas to high, lighting one of my POS matches I got at the gas station, and chucking it in the vicinity of the grill and running the other way shielding my face. It's probably one of the most amusing things to watch, as some of my friends can attest to. But, I missed the sale at Target for a new stand-up grill. Whatever, not a big deal. My little Jack Daniels grill can make one mean medium rare steak.

Like I have said in past blogs, in my personal opinion, letting cuts of beef soak in Worcestershire sauce, cooking it, and lightly salting and peppering it is the best way to eat it. So, nothing new there besides the fact that it was my first time grilling a T-bone steak. I saw on a Man v. Food episode (I think) that when you cook meat with the bone, it'll give it more flavor. I completely support that theory, as the steak I had tonight was delicious. Flavorful, tender, and juicy. Mmmm.


Again, I apologize for the crappy picture quality, as my Blackberry will only take a good picture outside from far away.

This salad is delicious, and a great way to get in some good vitamins. Plus, I HATE squash, and it's the only way I'll eat it. I also got to pick some of the cilantro I'm growing in the garden and use that. Such a satisfying feeling. :)

You'll need:
--Olive oil
--Salt and pepper
--Cilantro
--Yellow squash
--Zucchini
--Half an onion

1. Add olive oil to a pan, and turn heat on medium-high.
2. Once the oil has warmed up enough to slide easily over the entire surface of the pan,
3. add half of a diced onion. **Make sure to be careful, and don't burn yourself. Adding the onions to the hot oil will cause it to splatter up, making it likely that you could get oil on your arms, face, skin, blablabla. Just be careful!
4. Stir constantly.
5. Once the onion has become transparent, salt.
6. Stir in diced zucchini and yellow squash.
7. Stir constantly for about two minutes.
8. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T COOK THE SQUASH LONG ENOUGH FOR IT TO BECOME SQUISHY. The texture will be weird and slimy if you do. If you taste test, it should be warm all the way through, but still slightly crunchy.
9. Take off the heat.
10. Salt and pepper.
11. Add cilantro.
12. Cut a lime in half, and squeeze juice over the mix.
13. Enjoyyy!

Looks like a lot of directions, but I also write them out the way directions should be done. I cannot tell you how many recipes I've screwed up because I don't have the attention span to read through a paragraph of BS.


SCONESSS.

For some reason, American companies have decided to add masses amount of sugar to scones. Yes, I can see that people would want them to be super sweet because it is the U.S., that's what we do. However, it's not the way scones were initially intended. Slightly sweetened, savory, etc. This scone recipe is a healthy, slightly sweetened one.

Recipe borrowed from the recipe book, "Hungry Girl" by Lisa Lillien.

1 1/3 c. oats, not instant
2/3 c. Bisquick Heart Smart
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. softened, light butter (I used my soy butter)
2/3 c. light vanilla soymilk (I used almond milk with a splash of vanilla and pinch of sugar)
1 1/2 c. raspberries (The recipe calls for blueberries, but I hate blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix oats, Bisquick, brown sugar, baking powder and butter until combined.
3. Stir in milk.
4. Fold raspberries (Folding is lifting batter from corners to center. Don't stir the berries, because this causes the berries to smash).
5. Cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper, put 4-6 mounds on sheet. **These scones expand DRAMATICALLY.
6. Bake for 10 minutes.

I lovee the dough. Can't lie, I make these quite a bit to just eat the dough. If it's your first time making these, bake a couple to try out to see if you think they're sweet enough. If not, chocolate chips are a good add, although defeat the purpose of healthy.

Ideas? Questions? Comments? Let me know. :)

No comments: